The patented "Gale Sail" from ATN, inc. is the safest and easiest way to hoist a storm jib in storm conditions.
Features of the GALE SAIL:
- High visibility luff pouch.
- Oversized piston hanks PLUS webbed grommets for easier hoisting.
- It eliminates the need for a removable headstay.
- It eliminates the dangerous job of unfurling, dropping and stowing away the furled working sail to free up the roller furler in windy conditions to hoist the conventional jib.
- Since it is hoisted over the furled headsail, the Gale Sail prevents any dangerous accidental unfurling.
- No transformations or alterations of the rig are needed. The Gale Sail is ready to be hoisted immediately.
- The Gale sail, since it is hoisted over the very stiff roller furled sail, has a great aerodynamic shape, much better than a conventional storm jib hanked on a removeable headstay, or a partially furled sail, which most of the time has not been designed or built for that purpose. Also, not all roller furlers are built to reef.
- The Gale Sail slides up and down amazingly well because Dacron slides over itself very well. The next time you walk over a folded sail on deck, take notice of how slippery it is.
- It can be hoisted with the spinnaker halyard or spare jib halyard.
- It requires less halyard tension than a conventional storm jib would need since its luff (pouch) is supported by the wide forward part of the roller furled sail. By the same token, chafing is not a problem since the Gale Sail is riding on a large area. Chafing is a problem when a lot of pressure is on a small area, not when it is spread over a large surface.
- The Gale Sail is not a new, untested product. It has been sold in Europe for over 8 years.
- It is possible to retrofit a conventional storm jib onto a Gale Sail.
- The Gale Sail is part of the "Cover Sail" patent, from Europe's well known inventor Axel Lage.
Please Note: The GALE SAIL is available in WHITE with a RED SLEEVE only!!!